Nobody wants to sustain a neck injury, and it’s even worse if you’ve sustained one through no fault of your own. They can seriously affect your ability to work, and your quality of life overall. If you’ve suffered a neck injury through the negligence of someone else, you may want to claim for the losses you’ve suffered as a result. Here’s how you go about doing so.
Neck injuries that come about from accidents
There are several ways in that you can sustain a neck injury. Below are some of the most common ways, but the list is not exhaustive.
– Whiplash from car accidents: This is an injury that personal injury attorneys often see. They come about when the injured party is involved in a car accident with another driver. If the accident happened due to the negligence of the other driver, you may have a case to claim against them.
– From a slip and fall: Again, this kind of injury is quite common in personal injury cases. The injured party has often fallen due to someone’s negligence to clean up a spill, or put out signs to warn of wet floors.
– From a sports injury: This is an easily sustained injury, especially in sports that feature full physical contact. If the other player or the staff on the sidelines were negligent in ensuring your safety, you could have a case.
– Direct blows to the face or the back of the head: These injuries most often come about due to assault and battery claims. This is an example of a personal injury claim where the injury was caused intentionally, rather than due to negligence.
How to make a personal injury claim
It can feel rather intimidating getting in touch with personal injury lawyers, but they’re there to help you and guide you every step of the way. Every case is slightly different, but it will follow these basic steps.
– Call on a personal injury law firm: First, you’ll need to find a personal injury firm that can help you. We here at Florida Injury Lawyers are experts in personal injury law, so we’d be perfect to turn to in cases like yours.
– Explain your case: When you meet up with your selected lawyers, you will have to talk to them in detail about what happened. If you can, bring important dates, medical notes, and proof that you’ve suffered harm due to the injury. That could be medical bills, proof of loss of earnings, or any other financial expenses you have incurred.
The lawyer will then take all of the details you’ve given them, and make a decision on what to do based on your case. They will tell you how likely they think it is that you’ll win, and how much you may be able to claim for. If you’re willing to go ahead, they’ll take on the case for you.
– Case is sent to the defendant: Your lawyer will then draft a letter detailing your injuries, the circumstances in which you received them, and how they expect the defendant to be at fault. Once the defendant receives this letter, they have a fixed period of time in which to respond. If they accept liability, your lawyer will look to settle out of court.
– Defendant may make an offer: If the defendant has accepted liability, the next step your pi law firm would take would be to arrange an offer of compensation from them. This would be settled out of court, and is often the quickest way of resolving the situation. If you accept the amount the defendant offers, then the case can be closed.
– If offer isn’t forthcoming, a lawsuit is filed: A lawsuit may be filed in two instances: if the defendant won’t accept liability, or the amount they offer in compensation isn’t acceptable to you. At this point, you with your lawyer would file a lawsuit and take the case to court. A judge will hear both sides of the case, and make a decision as to who is in the right. If they find in your favor, you should receive the compensation you need.
Making a claim feels as though it’s going to be complicated and intimidating, but it really isn’t. The process is fairly simple, and you’ll have your personal injury lawyer with you every step of the way.
If you’re looking for personal injury lawyers Ford Lauderdale, look no further than us here at Florida Injury Lawyers. We’re specialists in personal injury law, so if you come to us with a potential case we can check it over with an expert eye. We’ll work with you every step of the way, and get you the compensation you deserve. Call us now to find out if you have a case.