The next morning she was dead.
“I heard her collapse in the bathroom,” said Tim Maddock, Glisson’s boyfriend of two years.
What Maddock didn’t know at the time, was that he and Glisson were being overcome by carbon monoxide. Glisson had left the vehicle running, causing the townhome to fill with the odorless, colorless, deadly gas.
“It’s like a bad dream you don’t want to wake up from,” Maddock said.
Investigators would later determine a luxury feature on Glisson’s car may have been partly responsible for her fatal mistake.
Her Lexus was equipped with keyless entry and ignition, allowing her to simply push a button without having to take a key out of her purse. In her rush to get out of the car and inside, Glisson simply forgot to shut off the car.
The Glisson case is one of several that federal safety investigators are examining to determine if changes are necessary in the design or manufacture of keyless systems, which are now available on nearly 200 newer model vehicles on the road.
Since 2010, three deaths have been attributed to drivers forgetting to shut off keyless cars. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has registered 12 complaints since 2005.
To read this article in full, please visit: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/money/consumer/alerts/feds-examine-dangers-of-keyless-cars